Table of contents
The Max Planck Society (MPG) and the University of Zurich (UZH) invite applications for interdisciplinary predoctoral fellowships in the field of Digital Visual Studies (DVS) for a duration of 1+2 years. The program is part of a 5-year cross-institutional Digital Humanities research project funded by the MPG, supported by the Bibliotheca Hertziana – Max Planck Institute for Art History (BHMPI) and collaborating with the Swiss Art Research Infrastructure (SARI) and the UZH Digital Society Initiative (DSI).
The fellows will carry out cutting-edge multidisciplinary research at the intersection of Art and Architectural History and Computer Science in a program specifically designed to tackle the current gap in the use, analysis and interpretation of digital visual resources. They will profit from access to large, rich and open datasets provided by a number of partner institutions in Art History, including the BHMPI. Further digitization required for the research projects will be supported. Data will include:
- 370 000 digital images of works of art (paintings, prints, drawings, sculptures, buildings etc.) with rich metadata, and 1.150.000 digitized photographs by early-2022
- very rich semantic data about the history of art and architecture in Italy (200.000 relations)
- 1400 digitized books in the history of art with rich metadata, and 14.600 books on Rome and Naples, starting from autumn 2021
- historic maps with annotated geodata for Rome and Naples
- diagnostic and technical information, scientific imaging (X-ray, infrared, microscope) of artworks and books
PhD candidates will also have shared access to a Frontend Development Engineer to help with production-ready code and the distribution of prototypes. The academic program will also include input from international Postdoctoral Fellows and Visiting Fellows.
Ideal candidates have expertise (an excellent Master’s degree) in one or more of the following areas:
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Computer Vision, Image Processing
- Spatial Humanities and GIS
- Knowledge Representation
- Digital Humanities
- Digital Art History, Art History, Archival Studies in Art History
- Book and Photo History
- Media theory/Artistic Research
- Architectural and Urban Studies
- Social and Historical Network Analysis
- Cultural Analytics, Computational Literary Studies
What we offer
Accepted PhD candidates will benefit from:
- a competitive salary (with generous social benefits including contributions to a pension fund which can be cashed if you leave the country) in an attractive, well-connected and dynamic European city.
- a network of researchers from MPG, BHMPI, UZH, DSI, SARI, ETH Zurich, University of Geneva and other national and international partner institutions
- a stimulating group of DH specialists working together
- a vibrant intellectual and creative community in Zurich, including UZH, ETH and the University of the Arts (ZHdK)
- designated supervisors
- support from the UZH Graduate Campus
- office space in the center of Zurich
- research residences at the BHMPI in Rome will be organized
- attending and organizing workshops
- social events to build community
Application process - how to apply
Candidates are invited to upload their applications on the recruitment website of the BHMPI (https://recruitment.biblhertz.it), including:
- copies of relevant certificates
- names and full contact details of two referees
- a statement describing their motivation and personal qualifications
- a research project proposal (non-binding, min. 3 pages with bibliography), specifying whether and how it would rely on the datasets mentioned above.
Please specify the PhD program, institute and possible supervisor at the UZH that you would like to be associated with.
The Call for applications will remain open until filled. After a first screening, shortlisted candidates might be invited for an interview. Selected candidates will be notified via email.
The call will remain open until filled. Researchers interested in the DVS are invited to consult our website and to address inquiries and questions to email@example.com
Please see our webpage or check the following links for relevant information:
UZH Doctoral programs: Application and registration
Doctoral Programs at the University of Zurich
UZH Graduate Campus